Thursday, April 06, 2006

Swept Away!

That's right Brewer fans! Prince Fielder recovered from his hitting slump just in time to propel the Brew Crew to their first 3 game sweep of the Pirates since August 2003. It was another knuckle biter of a game last night as the Brewers battled more bad calls, errors and Pirate home runs, but they emerged victorious, and are now 3-0 as they take Thursday off before facing the Diamondbacks this weekend.

My least favorite umpire, Mark Carlson, was moved to home plate last night, and surprise surprise, the bad calls continued. I thought maybe it was just me being a little biased in favor of our beloved Brewers. However, during last night's telecast, Bill Schroeder echoed my sentiments when he commented that a pitch thrown by Tomo Ohko, called a ball, was a deemed a strike when thrown by Pirates starter Zach Duke. Schroeder went on to discuss the very calls that I've been mentioning, and how every close decision was called in favor of Pittsburgh. At least I'm not the only one who thinks Carlson is blind. The rest of the umpire team did a good job last night, but I'm still glad to see them go!

Prince Fielder finally got his first hit of the season, and it couldn't have come at a better time, as his bloop single to right field provided the winning run. Hopefully that hit broke through whatever mental block he was battling, cause we all know that boy can knock the stuffing out of a ball! And I know I was skeptical after the Overbay trade, but I have to admit that Prince has been pretty outstanding in terms of his defense at first base. He displayed a bit of hesitancy during his first play on Monday, but he's been sharp as a tack ever since.

Unlike Jenkins last night. I'm still not sure what happened with that pop up that he missed that cost the Brewers a run. Maybe it got lost in the bright colors of the LED panels on the club level.

Speaking of bright colors, I saw that the bright green screen in left field has been changed to blue. Guess the IT guys are working overtime to fix the kinks in their new toy. Now if they could just move that pitch count scoreboard. . . . .

But I digress. Tomo Ohko pitched a beauty of a game last night, allowing only one earned run. Matt Wise was fierce, as usual, but then Derrick Turnbow pitched himself into a jam in the 9th. Luckily he was able to reel it in before any damage was done, and notched his 3rd save in 3 attempts.

Dare I say it? Is it too soon to predict a wild card berth? Maybe a bit. I'll hold off on that prediction, even though Mike Downey of the Chicago Tribune picked Milwaukee to surprise everyone and finish first. I will say that even though we're only three games in, it is so very sweet to see Milwaukee not only at the top of the NL Central, but also posting the best record in all of baseball, for now.

Enjoy your day off, guys, you've earned it! I'll see you all at the ballpark Friday night when our Brewers take on the Arizona Diamondbacks. Go Brewers!

No comments: