Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Friday night's game against the Reds left a lot to be desired in the Brewers' 'runs' column, but there are lots of things to discuss besides the final score. I'll start with the ugly and work my way to the good.

The ugly - a lot of the calls made tonight. How about Larry Vanover at first base? I kept asking myself what game he was watching, because it certainly wasn't the one being played at Miller Park. In my estimation, and that of about 25,000 other people, he missed several calls at first base, some that weren't even close. I was tempted to offer to buy him a baseball rule book to help him out. It seems this season a lot of the umpires are having a hard time remembering that ball in glove + foot on bag = runner out. Or maybe they're just tired of hearing the hype about this season's Brewer team and want to make it difficult for them to live up to it.

Another ugly - the call against Prince Fielder during one of his last at-bats. Seemed obvious to me that he was moving to avoid being hit, but the home plate umpire, Charlie Reliford, said he swung. At least that's the way it seemed. For those of you who watched at home on television and had the benefit of instant replay, please email me if you can clarify what this call was actually all about.

The bad - no offense. I guess those analysts were correct in saying that when the Brewers hit, they can't pitch and vice versa, because there was absolutely no offense to back up Sheets' brilliant outing. I'll get to that later. Gabe Gross started the game off on an extremely high note, but that was the only offense the Brewers would muster all night. Of course, this was due in part to the stellar pitching of Bronson Arroyo. I hate to admit it but you all know it's true. Let's move now to the good.

The good - in a word, (or two) Ben Sheets. How outstanding did he look? Seven innings, six hits, two runs, no walks, and ten strikeouts. Ten! Not to mention throwing only 97 pitches, and 73 of them strikes. It doesn't get much better than that my friends. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher throw a game like that and have to take a loss. On a high note, he did limit the high-scoring Reds to only two runs. More good news is that it looks like the old Ben is back and we'll have lots of chances to see his stuff throughout the season. I have to give Ben his props, but Chris, if you're reading, you're still my favorite.

More good - speaking of Chris Capuano, he was one of the Brewers out signing autographs before the game during the first autograph Friday of the season. I have a hat for my nephew, who loves baseball, so I go to most autograph Friday nights to get it signed for him. I think I'm up to about 14 now. Chris was sweet enough to not only sign the hat, but to take a picture with me, which I had to include. Once again, he was gracious and charming not only to me, but to everyone in line. All that and talent too. He is certainly a credit to the Brewers, and baseball for that matter, in this day and age of big contracts and even bigger egos. Doug Melvin, for the love of all that is holy, give this guy a multi-year deal!



So that's all I have for today. Until next time, go Brewers!

No comments: