Friday, April 14, 2006

Fewer LOB's please!

I try to tell myself it's only the 10th game. I try to remember that it's only April, and there are still 152 games to go. It just doesn't work though. I sit on the edge of my seat during every rally and cross my fingers during that last at bat. I yell at the TV and jump up and down in my living room. And then after games like tonight, I have to sit back and try to figure out why my guys just can't seem to get it together sometimes.

How does a team consistently out hit their opponents and not win the games? The colum right next to it is why, the LOB column, or runners left on base. We had ten, TEN!! runners left on base tonight. The Mets had 3. This is the same thing that happened last season. We'd get runners on base, and then leave them there.

We also had a disastrous 5th inning. How many outs did we give the Mets, 5, 6? Bill Hall got too excited about a potential double play, which not only didn't happen, he threw badly to Rickie Weeks and the runner advanced to third. It's amazing that only one run scored during that inning.

Chris Capuano seemed to be as frustrated with the offense tonight as I was. The rest of the team couldn't get anything going for Chris, so he did it for himself. Reminded me of that game against St. Louis last September when Chris had a couple of RBI's. Of course we rallied to come back and win that game, which didn't happen tonight, and my favorite pitcher falls to 1-2.

I can only hope that that Butch Wynegar can get the Brewer bats going tomorrow. I know he had film of Tom Glavine. I know he told the guys what to expect. Seems they didn't listen, cause our guys were chasing balls all over the place tonight. Maybe tomorrow they should pay closer attention. Maybe Ned should have another meeting. Maybe I should take a deep breath and remind myself that it's only April.

No comments: