Saturday, April 22, 2006

ESPN The Magazine

I have a complaint with ESPN's magazine. They apparently don't care when they print incorrect information, and they aren't concerned with making corrections either.

The April 10th issue ran a story called "Deep Inside the Brewers Clubhouse," and in this story the writer referenced the Brewers' previous losing streak. He wrote that the Brewers had gone "14 years without a winning record." Well we Brewer fans know that is wrong. So I called and left a message, and got no response. I emailed, and got no response.

I got the next issue and looked for a correction. Not there. I called again and left another message, with no response. I sent another email and, you guessed it, no response.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I forgot how to count, the Brewers had a losing record for 12 seasons, then the .500 season last year. In my world 12+1=13. 13 years without a winning record, but only 12 years of losing records. Now again, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the Pirates hold the record with 13 consecutive losing seasons.

I'm not sure why the magazine is unwilling to print a correction. Think maybe the writer is embarrassed that a girl caught his mistake? Maybe they think it's ok to print inaccurate statistics. Who knows? I'm just going to keep bugging them until they acknowledge the error. I know we were crappy for many years, and have no problem admitting that. I just ask that ESPN The Magazine state the correct level of crappiness.

No comments: