Monday, May 29, 2006

Technical Difficulties

Well I was about two paragraphs away from publishing my last post, which discussed the series in Philadelphia, when my internet connection went down and I lost everything. Guess that'll teach me to create my posts online instead of in Word. I'll try to recap what I was going to say.

We won the series on the road, which was huge, and only the second road series we've won this season. Chris Capuano was awesome again on Friday. 11 for 11 in quality starts. The offense was great up and down the lineup as well. Dave Bush struggled on Saturday, but we still won because of that great offense. Dana Eveland struggled on Sunday, as did our offense, and defense. Joe Winkelsas did what he was supposed to do, which is get ground balls, but the defense behind him couldn't pick up the slack.

There was more to it than that, but in a nutshell, that's what I was going to post. So tonight the Crew is in Pittsburgh to face the Pirates. Doug Davis will face off against Zach Duke, and Jorge de la Rosa will face former teammate Victor Santos tomorrow. This is a great opportunity for the Brewers to move up in the Central Division, because as we all know, the Pirates aren't having a great season. Of course I said that about Minnesota too.

The Pirates play better at home than on the road, but with a 12-12 home record, that's not saying much. But these guys aren't to be taken lightly, as they have pulled out some shocking wins against teams like St. Louis and Houston.

As we near the end of May, and our last series, it's important to win these games if the Crew wants to accomplish those 1 or 2 extra wins per month, as Ned Yost mentioned at the beginning of the season. Right now the team sits at 26-24. This time last season, they were 24-26. To stay on track for a 90-win season, the Brewers really need to pull out at least three wins in Pittsburgh. A sweep would be ideal, don't get me wrong, but to maintain Ned's goal of 2 more wins per month than last season, I think we need at least three.

Brady Clark's batting average continues to rise, and is now up to .287 after the Philly series. Looks more and more like the Brady of last season. Another good sign for the Crew is that Rickie Weeks hasn't made an error (officially) since May 18. I think that's a record for Rickie! With any luck, it's a sign of things to come for our second baseman.

So I apologize for the abbreviated post today. The first one was much better, but since I make it up as I go along, I couldn't remember everything I wrote. I'll do better next time. Best of luck to the Crew tonight as they suit up against the Pirates. Until next time, go Brewers!

No comments: