Saturday, May 20, 2006

Bill Hall in "In Touch"


It seems word has gotten out about Bill Hall. I was standing in line today at Miller Park waiting for Prince Fielder to show up for his autograph session. I have a hat and jersey for my niece and nephew, and I've spent the last season getting them autographed, which is why I was at Miller Park this morning. Since I know Prince Fielder is wildly popular, I brought along my weekly dose of celebrity gossip (in the form of "In Touch" magazine) to read while I passed the time waiting in line.

Imagine my surprise when I turned to the "News at a Glance" page and saw a photo of Bill Hall swinging his pink bat on Mother's Day. This is in no way a sports related magazine, as evidenced by the cover. In fact, in the year or two that I've been reading this magazine, I can tell you that the only stories that I've seen about sports figures all involve them dating some movie or television star. There was a little blurb once about Susan Sarandon throwing out the first pitch at a game last season between the Brewers and Tampa Bay. I'm sure most of you know that Susan Sarandon played Annie Savoy in "Bull Durham," and the Durham Bulls are the AAA affliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

But I digress. My point is that this magazine does not focus on sports in any way, shape or form, but yet there is Bill, pictured on the same page with the likes of Bono, Whoopi Goldberg, Selma Hayak and Tom Hanks, among others.



What a boost to Brewers' baseball to have one of our own featured in the pages of a prominant national magazine. Ok, so it's not "Time" or "People," but it's still a very popular magazine. Out of the 50 or so players who used pink bats that day, "In Touch" chose to focus on our small-market club. Of course, I bet none of those other guys hit the game winning home run, on Mother's Day, with his mom in the stands. I'm sure Vergie Hall never thought she would end up on the pages of a celebrity gossip magazine when she woke up on Mother's Day!

At any rate, I thought it was really cool that Bill was featured in the magazine, and I wanted to share it with all of you. Congratulations Bill!

No comments: