Saturday, May 13, 2006

Milwaukee Art Museum "Masters of American Comics"

Museum members got up close and personal with four of the Milwaukee Brewers who were on hand today to promote the new exhibit, "Masters of American Comics." Milwaukee Brewers Chairman and Principal Owner Mark Attanasio is funding the Masters of American Comics visit to Milwaukee. Rickie Weeks, JJ Hardy, Brady Clark and Geoff Jenkins were on hand to sign autographs and take photos with eager fans.

The first hour of the event featured JJ Hardy and Rickie Weeks, and I was lucky enough to not only get autographed cards of the players drawn as comic book figures, but also photos with each guy. They were nice enough as well to autograph a hat and jersey for my niece and nephew. Brady Clark and Geoff Jenkins were the players on hand for the second hour of the event.

It was cool to meet JJ and Rickie, (even though I slam Rickie for his errors, he's still a nice kid), but I was waiting for Brady Clark. Brady has been my favorite Brewer since 2004, but he's almost impossible to meet. The autograph on my Clark jersey was obtained by a friend of mine, Tom Hecker, who has access to the clubhouse. Unfortunately, I couldn't accompany my jersey into the clubhouse, but at least it got signed!

So I was very excited to get the chance to meet Brady and tell him how great I think he is, as well as congratulate him on his baby girl, who was born last summer. Brady was super nice, and signed the gifts for my family members, as well as his comic card, and even took a photo with me. It's really nice when your favorite players turn out to be good guys off the field as well.

Geoff Jenkins was running late today, and showed up about 20 minutes after the start time. I still had time to get him to sign my items, though, and take a photo with me. I think I may have pissed Geoff off a little bit, however. The first half of last season, as you all know, Geoff wasn't playing so great, and I really didn't have a kind word to say about him. As a matter of fact, I cursed him up one side and down the other. Then after the All-Star break, it was as if someone lit a fire under Geoff that's still burning pretty well.

So I promised myself that if I ever met Geoff I would apologize to him. Well, I did, but he didn't seem to appreciate it too much. His handler seemed to think it was kind of neat that I was making my confession, but I don't think Geoff felt the same. Oh well. I did what I said I was going to do. I did tell him how spectacularly he had played the night before to try to butter him up beforehand, but I guess it didn't work. Guess I'll keep my confessions to myself from now on!
Some photos of the event are posted in my album for those of you who weren't there. I forgot my camera, though, and had to use my phone. So I apologize for the quality. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Damian Miller, Ben Sheets, Carlos Lee and Bill Hall will be appearing at the Museum next month as part of the same exhibit.

No comments: