Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sheets Hurt? Again?

I wasn't a Brewer fan yet when Ben Sheets had his big breakout season and got the big fat contract. I really started watching in 2005, and I never saw a lot from Ben that impressed me. At least not enough to justify his $38 million contract. Everyone kept telling me how great he was, but I never saw it.

So naturally, I was skeptical when Sheets came off the DL once again. But in his first three starts, he pitched well. Really well. So well that I started to believe all the hype about Ben Sheets, that he really was that good.

Then he pitched tonight. Sheets lasted just one inning, leaving the game with pectoral tightness. I can't help but wonder what is going on with this guy? Being from Louisiana myself, I would hate to think that Ben is just a wimp. But come on. A tight chest muscle? Isn't that something that should have been sufficiently stretched before the game? Or shouldn't it have been discovered when Ben threw his warm up pitches? How do you suddenly discover that your muscle is tight?

At least the bullpen came in and rescued Sheets. Geremi Gonzalez had a little trouble, giving up three runs, but Rick Helling threw three shutout, no hit innings. It really just pisses me off that the Crew was actually able to come back and score three against the Cards, but not win. I just want to tell Ben to suck it up. Needless to say, the faith that had started to build in Ben Sheets is out the window.

The Crew still has a chance tomorrow to win the series with Chris Capuano on the mound. He said during an interview today that he felt like he worked some things out in his last start in Colorado, throwing five great innings after struggling through the first three. I guess we'll see. Until next time, go Brewers!

No comments: