Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mercedes-Benz Field Haus


I was fortunate enough to watch last Friday's victory over the Astros from the new Mercedes-Benz Field Haus. My friends Lea and Matt were kind enough to invite me after Lea's dad won 20 tickets in a silent auction. I was very excited because I knew the picnic area meant free beer and food!

As it turns out, you get only two free beers per ticket. Luckily, Lea's kids and a few others were underage, so we had plenty of tickets to go around. The buffet included standard ballpark fare - hamburgers, hot dogs, brats - as well as BBQ chicken and cookies. Not a bad spread, all in all. It was also really great to not have to wait in line for a beer, or have to miss any of the game while you go get one. We had our own personal bartender, who did a very nice job keeping our beer cups full!















I was a little disappointed in the view. Don't get me wrong. It was pretty cool to basically be on the field, but it was hard to see what was going on in the infield. I spent most of the evening watching the game on the screens installed inside the field haus. As you can see from the photos, you get a great view of the outfield, as well as a nice shot into the visitor's bullpen.




The one thing I complain about when I attend games is the lack of instant replay on close calls. But in the field haus, you get the excitement of being at the game, with the benefit of television.

There is one other aspect to the field haus that is pretty cool. You have to go through the field bleacher section to get into the field haus, and there is an usher stationed there who opens the gate for you every time you go in or out. There is something to be said for being able to come and go from an area that is restricted, so to speak. I know it sounds kind of snotty, but there's that feeling of "I can go in and you can't" as you walk through the bleacher section. Makes one feel somewhat superior for a couple of hours. It's also kind of neat to look up into the front row of the field bleachers and see the faces looking down enviously at the folks sitting in the picnic area. Of course these feelings were all very short-lived, as I was back in the loge section for the game on Tuesday.

In addition to the beer and food, Field Haus ticket holders get to take home a replica batting helmet. I insisted that Lea and I take a goofy photo wearing our helmets. That photo, as well as some others taken from the field haus, can be seen by clicking here, or on the link to the right. Until next time, go Brewers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...interesting. That's probably as close as I'll get to the M-BFH! (I still am not crazy about them putting it ON the field, but...oh well.)

Tamra Reynolds said...

Well you're not missing much in terms of view. The best part for me was just having fun with my friends.