Thursday, July 06, 2006

Brewers Clinch Sweep in 13th

I never have had the good fortune of actually being in the ballpark for the truly amazing victories. Bill Hall's Mother's Day homerun? Watched it on TV. Carlos Lee's Father's Day homerun? Watched it on TV. The five-homerun-inning game? Listened to it on the radio. Every single extra inning victory this season? TV or radio. Well not last night, my friends. I was there, front and center, through all 13 innings, as the the Brewers handed the Reds their 5th straight loss, climbed back up to .500, and moved into sole possession of 3rd place in the NL Central. In fact, the Crew is now only 3.5 games out of first place.

I got to attend this game courtesy of the Milwaukee Brewers and WE Energies. I wrote last week that I won four tickets to an upcoming game, which I won by voting online in the WE Energies High Energy Player of the Year Sweepstakes. I had specific games I could choose from, and last night was one of them. Praise be to the baseball gods that I picked last night, and got to witness that spectacular game firsthand, along with my friends Sheila, Lea and Matt (pictured with me below).



The Crew even claimed two spots in Sportscenter's Play of the Day countdown last night. Gabe Gross's diving catch in shallow center was #7, with the #1 spot being claimed by none other than Bill Hall and Corey Koskie, and their unbelievable "double catch" behind third base. Even Felipe Lopez had to applaud their effort, even thought it was his popup that was caught.

The only negative to last night's game was the lack of enthusiasm from the remaining crowd during the late innings. Quite a few "fans" left before the end of regulation, and even more trailed out as the game progressed. I would have thought that the fans who chose to stick it out would be the diehards, the ones on their feet, cheering, yelling, jumping up and down (like me!). But the fans who stuck around last night could have been watching golf for all the noise they made. Even into the 11th inning and beyond, the crowd would become almost completely silent between plays. I had to look around to make sure they were still awake! The lack of spirit certainly wouldn't have inspired me if I had been on the field last night. Our guys put on a great show for us Milwaukee, and we have to muster way more spirit than what was evident in Miller Park last night. I'm happily walking around without a voice today as a result of showing them my appreciation for all their hard work againt the Reds!

The Reds' trouble apparently didn't end when they left the field last night. Relief pitcher Brian Shackelford was arrested shortly after midnight last night at Miller Park on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault. Not much information was released, only that it involved a woman, and apparently took place on Monday. Shackleford faced one batter last night, Prince Fielder, and struck him out.

I had planned to write a little something about Ned Yost a few days ago, but he seemed to correct the situation I was going to discuss. I thought I would mention it today anyway since he addressed it again last night. During that horrendous Twins sweep, it seemed Ned was leaving the pitchers in too long before bringing in relief, in essence, closing the barn door after the horses got out. By the time Ned got around to sending in a reliever, the Crew was already so far in the hole that it was a pointless move.

I was very happy Tuesday to see that this trend seems to be at an end. Doug Davis had pitched a stellar game, and I wanted him to be able to finish it. He earned the right to finish that game, but he started to get in trouble in the top of the 9th. Ned promptly called in Brian Shouse, who recorded the last out and got the save. Ned didn't wait to see if Doug would get out of the jam, or deeper into it. As much as I wanted Doug to get his complete game, I think Ned made the right move.

He did it again last night. Villanueva had pitched a good game through the first five innings, but at the first sign of trouble, Ned went to the pen. Of course, I'm sure he never imagined he would go through almost the entire pen before the night was over. At any rate, I'm glad to see Ned seems to be more proactive these days in terms of bringing in relievers.

Our most reliable starter, Chris Capuano takes the mound tonight against Greg Maddux and the Chicago Cubs. Except for his last outing, Chris has been an innings eater all season, and he will certainly need to eat some tonight. I don't know if there is anyone left in the bullpen to work tonight, should Chris need early relief. No one except Dana Eveland, that is, who was called up last night after the game when Carlos Villanueva was optioned to AAA Nashville. Dana is a scary option after his last few outings for the Crew, but apparently he's been doing well for Nashville. Let's hope Chris can hold the Cubs off for a while and we won't need to go to Dana!

Incidentally, Chris is second in the All-Star vote to Nomar Garciaparra. Voting ends today at 5 pm, so get to your computers and cellphones and vote vote vote! We need to get Cappy to Pittsburgh!

That's it for now Brewer fans. Keep voting until 5 pm tonight! Until next time, go Brewers! Posted by Picasa

No comments: