Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Meaningless Stat

I was just checking out the probable pitchers for the next few games, and the last line of Ben Sheets' little bio says he is 2-3 lifetime against the Nationals, with an ERA of 4.21.

Can someone please tell me why the "lifetime" stat matters? I've seen sportswriters and heard our own play by play guys use this same stat, and I think it's stupid. Ok, so in his whole career, Ben Sheets is 2-3 versus the Nats. Big freaking deal. Probably every time he faced them it was a different lineup.

I could see how this stat might matter a little if the pitcher was facing the same batters every time he faced a particular team. But when you have teams changing players more often than Madonna changes her hair color, this stat is completely irrelevant.

And while I'm bitching about sportswriters, I'll just throw this in. SPELLCHECK IS FREE!!! Use it, or for the love of Babe Ruth, have someone else read your stuff before you post it. I can't find it now, but a writer posted a story about Ken Griffey Jr. the other day, and wrote about how there was nothing left in his locker but some 'hangars.' Hangars are where airplanes are parked. Hangers are what's in your closet.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. I feel better now. Go Brewers!

UPDATE - Another prime example of lack of proof reading. Today's article about the Brett Favre trade on Yahoo! sports by Chris Jenkins stated that the Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their new 'starer.'

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-brettfavre&prov=ap&type=lgns

I know this is petty, but these are the kinds of things that drive me nuts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing I love about you is your sweet, easy going demeanor. lol

Baseball has a million stats and I think the "lifetime stat" is just another one. (ex: he's batting over .300 vs. left handers on day games at home) I'm surprised "lifetime stat" is the one that got you all in a lather! ;)