Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ugly, Ugly and More Ugly

Last night I did something I've done only once before: I turned off the game in the disastrous 7th inning. And I even missed the worst of it. Once Derrick Turnblow walked in the 6th run for St. Louis, I had had enough. I decided to watch "Nip/Tuck" instead. It was much more gratifying, even though I would check on the game during commercials.

First commercial - score had gone from 6-2 to 8-2. Second commercial - 10-2. Third commercial - 12-2. I stopped checking after that and didn't turn back until after the game. I had seen enough to realize that once again, the terrible two (Turnbow and Kolb) had struck again.

The post-game was somewhat interesting. A reporter in the media room finally asked Ned Yost what I've been wondering since July. "How many times are you going to keep throwing Turnbow in there to lose games?" Exactly. How many chances does this guy get? How many losses does it take for Yost to realize that Turnbow isn't getting it back any time soon??

I guess Ned finally picked up the clue phone that had been ringing for two months because he said, in no uncertain terms, that Derrick would no longer pitch in games that were still winnable. Too bad he didn't get that clue weeks ago. I wonder what our record would be at this point if we had won all the games that were lost by Derrick. At this point in the season, I'm too lazy to go back and do the research. But I do know that we'd be a whole hell of a lot closer to .500 than we are now.

Once again, I am baffled by the hype surrounding Ben Sheets. I guess I should have been a fan in 2004 when he apparently had his breakout season, because I still haven't seen anything that justifies his bloated salary. But that's just my humble opinion.

Has anyone else noticed that the three starting pitchers who make the least money are the only ones who have been out there to take the ball every 5 days? Capuano and Davis have done it two seasons straight, barring any snafus the rest of this season, and Bush has been there every time it's been his turn. I wonder if that means that Cappy and Bush will start getting hurt once they start getting big money?

So the season that started off so promising will end dismally. Fan that I am, though, I will continue to go to games and support the guys, all the while telling myself, "maybe next year." Until next time, go Brewers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: Once again, I am baffled by the hype surrounding Ben Sheets.

I totally agree with you. And I've been here through his major league career. I mean, he definitely IS a good pitcher, but I have to admit I wince everytime he is referred to as the "ace of the staff". That, of course, is your boy Chris Capuano...even though lately he has nothing to show for it. (What's better than Cappy picking a guy off first. LOVE IT!)

Tamra Reynolds said...

It's nice to know someone agrees with me. As for the reference to Capuano, keep reading! Not so much my boy anymore!