Thursday, June 19, 2008

Very Classy

Maybe all MLB ballparks do this when their teams play the Blue Jays, but having never seen Toronto play before last night, I don't know. Before the National Anthem, the stadium announcer asked us to rise as we honored Canada with its National Anthem, and there was a Canadian flag flying over right center field. The singer even sang the first half of "O Canada" in French. Then our National Anthem was sung and the game began.

Like I said, maybe all ballparks do this, and if they do, great, because I thought it was totally classy to honor Canada, as well as the United States. I wonder if they play both anthems before every game in Toronto?

Something to ponder. I know the Blue Jays play in Toronto, and that Toronto is in Canada, but somehow I always forget that MLB, America's pastime, has a team based in a foreign country. And while Canada is just a few hours north of us, the fact remains that it is still a foreign country. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Until next time, go Brewers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wherever the Jays play, the crowd gets treated to two national anthems. I know I've seen the Expos at Miller Park a few times and that was always the case.

PS: I always give "extra points" to any anthem singer who doesn't go for a hign note on "oe'r land of the freeeeee-HEEEEE"! :P